[gccsdk] GCC 3.4.6 and Softfloat

Nick Burrett nick at sqrt.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 04:38:12 PST 2007

David Brown wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I was wondering if it’s currently possible/practical to build Unixlib
> 5.0 as an AOF/ALF for use with GCC 3.4.6.  Specifically I would like to
> try the softfloat support with my Quake 2 port to determine the level of
> performance gain that would be achieved before getting heavily into
> reworking the floating point use in Quake2/Mesa.
>

> I have attempted to build GCC4.x under Cygwin but haven’t had much luck
> and don’t have access to a Linux machine.

I think I'd invest time the other way around and ensure you can get a
build of GCC 4.1 with soft-float support.  There would be a few fixes
required for GCCSDK 3.4.6.  You'd want to backport the ARM float library
from GCC 4.1, because it is many times faster than in 3.4.6.  You could
expect soft-float code to be quite slow in 3.4.6.

Regards,

Nick.