[gccsdk] Problems building libxml with autobuilder on Ubuntu

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Sun Jul 8 15:53:51 PDT 2007

In message <f90ca9440707081505i2b76c875uef42b048e408130b at mail.gmail.com>
          "Simon Wilson" <ksattic at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Jogn Tytgat replied offlist due to me accidentally sending a reply
> directly to him]
> > Odd, can you check if you have the file
> > /home/simon/src/gccsdk/build/libxml2/libxml2-2.6.27.dfsg/libxml2.la and
> > if so, if it looks alright to you (it is textual file).
>
> Looks fine as far as I can tell.
>
> > I got in my log file:
> > /home/john/gccsdk/riscos4/cross/bin/gcc -O2 -pedantic -W -Wformat -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Winline -Wredundant-decls -o io1,ff8 io1.o  -L/home/john/gccsdk/riscos4/env/lib ../../.libs/libxml2.a -lpthread -lz -lm
> >
> > which is pretty much the same as you have but without the linking error.
>
> Except, as Peter says, that it is trying to link in the .la file
> instead of the actual library (.a file).

Good spotting.  I simply overlooked that.

> What build file may be broken here (i.e. what file can I edit to fix this)?

No clue right now.  I've uploaded my autobuilt libxml2 (about 28 MB) at
http://joty.drobe.co.uk/libxml2.tar.bz2 so you can perhaps after substituing
/home/simon/src/gccsdk/build/libxml2 by /home/john/gccsdk/build_aof/libxml2
etc diff the two directories and maybe find the relevant difference ?