[gccsdk] quilt management of patches

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Jul 9 19:47:18 PDT 2007

In message <5378e6ff4e.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> In message <39fe42fb4e.peter at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:

> > familiar with it, but it's very straightforward, and automates in a
> > consistent manner stuff we now do anyway (I know we have patch
> > generation script).
>
> I had a quick look at it and although IMHO it can be used for our purposes,
> it feels a bit as overkill to me.

It automates a whole bunch of stuff that is semi-manual right now.

> > If nothing else, it means the whole build doesn't
> > need to be recreated for new patches.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand this.  Are you talking about create-gccsdk
> script ?

Of course.  Is this not the case?  If it isn't, it's far from clear.

> > I hope to put this in place in the next few weeks.
>
> I'm all for tools which makes our lives easier and more productive but the
> current simple patch system we're using is fine for me but I'm probably
> a bit biased ;-) Lee, you're a regular contributor as well, do you think
> we can use improvement here and if so, would quilt help us ?

In my very considered opinion, the build system is way too many steps,
and the instructions are over-complicated (the Wiki documention too I
feel is very daunting). There's no reason it shouldn't be a case of SVN
up + make. Remember, it has to be usable by people who only build it a
couple of times too, not those using it constantly.  There's a world of
difference.