[gccsdk] quilt management of patches

Lee Noar leenoar at sky.com
Thu Jul 12 11:02:08 PDT 2007

In article <5378e6ff4e.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>, John Tytgat
<John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:
> In message <39fe42fb4e.peter at chocky.org> Peter Naulls
>           <peter at chocky.org> wrote:

> > I want to migrate to use of 'quilt' for patch management.

> For all clearness, this is
> <URL:http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt/>.

> > I'm not real familiar with it, but it's very
> > straightforward, and automates in a consistent manner stuff
> > we now do anyway (I know we have patch generation script).

> I had a quick look at it and although IMHO it can be used for
> our purposes, it feels a bit as overkill to me.

> > If nothing else, it means the whole build doesn't need to be
> > recreated for new patches.

> I'm not sure if I understand this.  Are you talking about
> create-gccsdk script ?

> > I hope to put this in place in the next few weeks.

> I'm all for tools which makes our lives easier and more
> productive but the current simple patch system we're using is
> fine for me but I'm probably a bit biased ;-) Lee, you're a
> regular contributor as well, do you think we can use
> improvement here and if so, would quilt help us ?

I can see what Peter means, it's not so bad for libunixlib as
after an svn update, you can just copy the files from
recipe/file/libunixlib to your source tree and call make.
However, it can be a bit tedious when a file in the gcc or
binutils source is updated. In that case you have to run
create-gccsdk to apply the patch and rebuild from scratch.

Would it not be possible to extract the patching from
create-gccsdk into another script so that it could be done
separately after an svn update?

Lee.

--
    |__ee | \|oar         StrongARM Risc PC, RISC OS 4.