[gccsdk] Some newbie questions.

Ollie Clark oliverc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 08:19:48 PDT 2007

I've finally got the GCCSDK autobuilder set up on my FC6 box but I've got
some questions.

Firstly, at the bottom of the UPP page (http://www.riscos.info/unix/) it
says "The UPP can also provide help to budding porters who subscribe to
the project." Does that mean I'm meant to be a subscriber to the UPP to be
on this list at all? TBH, I don't actually use RO much anymore but I
thought I might be able to help a bit in the porting effort.

Secondly, it was a bit of an effort to get it set up on FC6. I couldn't
find packages for realpath, libpopt-dev or liborbit-dev. I ended up
getting the debian package for realpath and compiling it by hand and I
ignored the two libraries in the end. Is it worth me persevering with
Fedora or would I be better off installing Debian next time I upgrade and
leaving the GCCSDK stuff until then?

A corollorary to that question - is it going to be a problem having those
libraries missing? If so does anyone know where I might find the packages
for them for fedora?

Thirdly, if I don't have to be a subscriber and fedora isn't too painful,
I was looking through the help wanted section for things I could
realistically do. The first bullet point looks like about my level at the
moment. Is it asking for volunteers to just run the autobuilder on
different packages and upload the results somewhere or to actually keep
the autobuilder up to date with the latest version available in a debian
package? I could easily do the first although I'd be surprised if it
wasn't already automated somewhere. I could probably do the second but
what package(s) would be the most useful for me to keep up to date?

Sorry, I seem to have gone on a bit there.

Cheers,

Ollie