[gccsdk] Some newbie questions.

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Tue Jul 31 15:20:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:32:09PM -0700, Peter Naulls wrote:
> Don't use Fedora.  It's just too much pain on too many levels (And I'm
> not talking about GCCSDK). We mostly use Debian here, but Ubuntu will
> work well too.

One thing I've toyed with, but never got around to, is making some sort of
Debian/Ubuntu Live CD that will work in things like QEmu, VMWare etc to have
an instant Debian environment for running GCCSDK.  While such a thing
doesn't exist, installing a basic Debian in an emulated QEmu/VMWare/Xen/etc
environment might be a more feasible way to run GCCSDK without the problems
the OP's been having.  (In an ideal world we should fix the problems, but
given limited resources...)

Such an install is pretty much installing QEmu, downloading a Debian
installation CD, pointing QEmu at it, answering all the questions with the
defaults, letting it install over the network, then installing all the
GCCSDK required packages.  Takes some resources (bandwidth, disc space, CPU
time) but isn't that complicated.

The alternative would be to dual-boot into Debian... obviously needs
dedicated partitions and a bit of fiddling with GRUB (especially if Windows
is involved) but again it's not that difficult.  You don't need much more
than a vanilla installation (though ticking the 'C compilers' top-level option
is helpful!)

Theo