[gccsdk] Firefox 2 patches

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Tue Mar 20 21:22:33 PDT 2007

In message <1757c4c64e.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> In message <20070320105313.GC22265 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>           Theo Markettos <theo at markettos.org.uk> wrote:

> And I might point out that releasing the patches is /required/: the MPL
> doesn't give you any option on that question.

Let's hop down from druck's high horse for just a moment.  No doubt he
thinks he's doing everyone a huge favour by "forcing" me to comply with
it, but this is again the short-term thinking I'm so opposed to, and
very much the attitude he predicted some years ago could and did drive
developers away.  If push comes to shove, then I will supply a tarball
with everything and no further help, and will have washed my hands of
the whole affiar.  But instead, if we're actually still interested in
collaborative development, as I'm certain you are, then perhaps we can
give me the benefit of the doubt and go about this in a more productive
manner that helps everyone.

> > Well, I have.  I've considered looking at FF2, but if the patches aren't
> > available then there's no point on me working on FF1.5.  It might be there
> > are only upstream changes, but I don't know that and it would be silly for
> > anyone to not develop the RISC OS trunk.
>
> I think it would already a good start and learning step to build FF1.5.
> The build system and all the necessary patches for libraries are there.
> The only thing which stands in a smooth build from start to end is that we
> don't have enough people to regulary build everything and keep up with
> upstream changes.

John is absolutely right.  Unless and until you can build 1.5 - which
after all, John and I went to extrodionary lengths to make easy, there
is little point in trying to do anything at all with 2.  Having said
that, 2 is now old news, and if RISC OS Firefox development is at all
serious, the focus must be on 3.  That is a much harder problem, due to
considerable changes.

> > I can't guarantee I'm going to spend any time on it (it depends on having a
> > supply of spare Sunday afternoons), but if the source isn't available it
> > prohibits anyone from working on it on the off-chance.
>
> For FF1.5 building everything is there.  I'm nearly sure that when you
> have done this, you already have 95% of the work done for an FF2 build.
> I wouldn't be surprised that an FF2 build (with X11 based interface) nearly
> builds out-of-the-box with same or simalar patches made for FF1.5.

That's approximately correct, but again, I really need you to build 1.5
first.