[gccsdk] Firefox 2 patches

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu Mar 29 18:35:47 PDT 2007

In message <200703292239.56556.lists at peter-teichmann.de>
          Peter Teichmann <lists at peter-teichmann.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2007 06:42 schrieb Peter Naulls:
> > In message <200703282314.11932.lists at peter-teichmann.de>
> >
> >           Peter Teichmann <lists at peter-teichmann.de> wrote:
> > > What does that mean for our Firefox debate? In my opinion it means, that
> > > you, Peter Naulls, should make use of the advantage that open source
> > > offers. You should release the source not only because you have to, but
> > > also for the benefits you may get if it is not too late already. What
> > > benefits can that be? You can get help with things you probably do not
> > > like so much, as documentation and support for users. You can get help
> > > with subsystems which you maybe are not so familiar with, especially the
> > > used libraries. If more than one person work together, they can
> > > specialize on different parts. Specialization brought mankind a big leap
> > > ahead. And finally, twenty eyes always see more than two.
> >
> > I think this is incredibly patronising.  I have done all this, and much
> > much more.  A long long time ago.  Now, I have almost no time for this.
> > It is too little, too late.  If it was 2 years ago, it would be a
> > completely different story.
> >
> > > On the other hand, what do you have to loose?
> >
> > To _lose_, I have my self-respect.   I get insulted and critisized if I
> > post almost anything.  Your post is just an example of this.
>
> Sad. You should really learn to deal with criticism and different opinions. It
> does not mean that you are not respected.

No, the saddest part is that the relevance of my work has been
completely missed except by a very few supporters, and you've ignored
what I've said. I've been asked on several occasions recently (and no so
recently) to make Firefox et al easy to build.  But guess what - it is,
and has been for a very long time.  Just about everything you suggest I
should do, I've already done, or perhaps more importantly, built the
infrastructure precisely so they can take place.  That is why your post
is so patronizing, and seems so very naive.

If you and others want to take RISC OS forward - from an OSS angle or
otherwise, how about doing just that, not telling _me_ what to do.
That will get you nowhere - if for no other reason, than I have precious
little time at present.