[gccsdk] Syslog: DoggySoft vs. Unix

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Tue May 22 09:35:14 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Having been reading Graham Shaw's new book on UnixLib, I've been fiddling
with the GCC implimentation of syslog (in the past I've used the RISC OS
syslog SWIs). How are the different priority schemes rationalised? For
instance, the DoggySoft help file says:

  Day-to-day information should probably be logged at around level 100.
  Certainly avoid levels of less than around 50 for non-critical messages.
  Level 10 means that the message is of similar importance to "Government
  declares war". Level 0 is of similar importance to "Armageddon imminent."
  Level 255 is of similar importance to "Water detected in ocean". The
  logging output of your program is much more useful if prorities are
  used well.

Looking at the logs on my RISC OS system, this seems to be the scheme
used but, for example,   LOG_USER | LOG_INFO   generates a log message
of level 14 - which must map to something like "computer on fire"
under the DoggySoft/RISC OS scheme.

Is there some way of rationalising the two which I've missed, or am I
just going about things the wrong way?

Thanks,
Adam

--