[gccsdk] Syslog: DoggySoft vs. Unix

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Sun May 27 02:34:34 PDT 2007

On 26 May 2007 Graham Shaw <gdshaw at sagitta.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5ce92fe94e.admin at snowstone.org.uk>,
>    Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

>> Does it need to be linear?

> To be clear, I'm not saying that it does - merely that a linear scheme
> would be preferable on the grounds of simplicity if it can adequately
> capture the semantics.

In practice a non linear scheme would be of more value to a developer.
The low numbers are all faily well defined, and there doesn't need to
be very many types of critical errors, its not a useful distinction.
But at the high end its handy to have lots of information and debug
codes for fine grain control over the amount of logging generated by
various layers of the program, during development and problem finding
with the user.

---druck