[gccsdk] GCCSDK GCC 4 status update

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Thu May 31 14:07:51 PDT 2007

It's been a while since my last update on the GCCSDK GCC 4 developments.
As mailed before the most up-to-date development status can be found at
<URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Development> but summerized
for the latest 4 months the highlights were:

- UnixLib became now a GCC-only ELF-only runtime library allowing us to
  focus on that usage alone.
- Made a simple static ELF2AIF convertor avoiding the need for an ELF
  load for static ELF binaries.
- Minimal SharedCLibrary is now implemented.  By this the multilib
  combinations are:
    - softfloat, UnixLib
    - hardfloat, UnixLib
    - hardfloat, SharedCLibrary
    - hardfloat, SharedCLibrary, module
- We have module support for C programs fully working (including ELF
  based CMunge).  C++ support has some oddities which I don't fully
  understand what's going on and what a solution could be.  If someone
  feels challenged by this, by all means, talk to me and have go.
- Shared library: that's nicely coming along.  I'm sure Lee can give more
  details but I understand the shared library built with GCC 4.1 are
  working now under RISC OS using the C based DSO module loader. :-)

So that's great news.

>From the remaining items of
<URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Development#On_the_agenda>
is the native RISC OS build the most important one. The other items are
rough road bumps which I think we should deal with and they can easily
done by one or two volunteers.  Someone please ?

Oh BTW, GCC 4.2 got released a couple of weeks ago and I had a go at
applying our patches on 4.2.  As expected by previous experience this wasn't
a blind patch apply but after some updates I got it working cross-compiling
several programs from autobuilder.  The testqueue however revealed several
new issues which I didn't investigate further.  I think we better stick
to 4.1 and perhaps migrate from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 instead for our first
GCCSDK 4 release.