[gccsdk] GCCSDK GCC 4 status update

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Thu May 31 14:32:07 PDT 2007

On 31 May 2007 John Tytgat <John.Tytgat at aaug.net> wrote:

> It's been a while since my last update on the GCCSDK GCC 4 developments.
> As mailed before the most up-to-date development status can be found at
> <URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Development> but summerized
> for the latest 4 months the highlights were:

> - UnixLib became now a GCC-only ELF-only runtime library allowing us to
>   focus on that usage alone.

Not particularly happy about dropping Norcroft support, but you
started that some time ago, so I've had to fork off my own copy.
The compatibility issues are some trivial header changes, but a
more tricky bug in ObjAsm's conditional assembly support.

> - We have module support for C programs fully working (including ELF
>   based CMunge).  C++ support has some oddities which I don't fully
>   understand what's going on and what a solution could be.  If someone
>   feels challenged by this, by all means, talk to me and have go.

Well CFront had some nasty bug involving static initialisers (I forget
the exact details). I got away with writing one C++ module and thought
better of it after that. I don't expect people rushed out to build G++
modules when it became possible, so its not urgent, but would be nice
to have eventually.

> From the remaining items of
> <URL:http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCCSDK_Development#On_the_agenda>
> is the native RISC OS build the most important one.

Another alternative for debugging support is for me to work out the
DWARF2 format for ARMalyser and then pass on the details to Swiss Nik
so he can put it in DeskDebug. Unfortumately he's an assembler
programmer with no knowledge of C, so he'll do something with it, but
it might not be ideal for C programmers.

---druck