[gccsdk] GCCSDK GCC 4 status update

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Thu May 31 19:46:32 PDT 2007

In message <95bdcbeb4e.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> Oh BTW, GCC 4.2 got released a couple of weeks ago and I had a go at
> applying our patches on 4.2.  As expected by previous experience this wasn't
> a blind patch apply but after some updates I got it working cross-compiling
> several programs from autobuilder.  The testqueue however revealed several
> new issues which I didn't investigate further.  I think we better stick
> to 4.1 and perhaps migrate from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 instead for our first
> GCCSDK 4 release.

Perhaps.  There's no rush for a 4.x release, and I'd be inclined to go
for 4.2 instead, simply to avoid being left behind (I've seen this
happen many many times with projects). If this means delaying a release
for a few weeks, then I don't think it's a huge deal, especially if
you're proposing a 3.4.6 rel 3.   We should also think very seriously
about trying to get patches merged upstream; that will make 4.3 much
easier.