[gccsdk] Preparing GCCSDK 4.1.1 Release 1

Theo Markettos theo at markettos.org.uk
Mon Dec 22 04:49:47 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 05:33:26PM +0200, John Tytgat wrote:
> A proposal and/or summery what I would like to see happening with respect
> to the following GCCSDK releases:
[snip good stuff]
> - I was thinking to include our GCCSDK 3.4.6 'as' (ObjAsm compatible
>   assembler which can output in AOF and ELF format) as 'objasm' in
>   GCCSDK 4.1.1 in order to ease the migration of assembler/C projects where
>   the assembler parts are still in ObjAsm syntax.  I would make the ELF
>   output format the default.  We have to rename the GCCSDK 3.4.6 'as' as
>   otherwise it will conflict with GAS 'as' binary already in !GCC but I'm
>   not sure if 'objasm' is really the right choice.  Suggestions ? Feedback
>   please ?

I meant to reply to this and didn't - sorry for the late feedback.  I'm not
sure 'objasm' is a good choice because of the clash with Norcroft.
Currently you can use both Norcroft C and GCC in parallel because one is
'cc' and the other 'gcc'.  If you call 'as' 'objasm' then the user has to
mess with paths to select the right one.  Or do you feel that 'as' is now a
replacement for objasm in every way? I'm afraid I don't have any bright
ideas for a new name - 'gccasm' perhaps?  There are very few hits for that
on Google.  Then the user can alias gccasm to objasm if they want that.

Thanks for all your hard work (even though I don't understand some of it :)

Theo