[gccsdk] Autobuilder packaging site and ELF

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 1 03:43:21 PST 2008

Now I've got GCC4 running on Cygwin I want to look into
how to start generating ELF packages for the autobuilder
website.

So ELF programs can be installed smoothly by riscpkg
I would like to create packages of what is currently !DSO-libs.

These packages could then be made dependencies of any
ELF program to ensure they will just run without any
manual intervention from the users.

What I would like to do is create the following packages.

ELFLoader

This will be a new application directory !ELFLoader. Here the
SOMManger will live. The boot file will set variables so the
SOMManager can be found, file types for symlinks and ELF
executables and the run type for ELF executables

SharedLib

A new application directory !SharedLib. This will be the
skeleton application for storing shared libraries. The boot
file will set up the GCCSOLib path.

C-libs

The base c shared libaries. This will just be the libraries
and symlinks to be installed into !SharedLib.lib

C++libs

The stdc++ shared library. Installed into !SharedLib.lib

These will all be installed into Boot.Resources.

Can anyone tell me where etc.ld/so/cache from the current
!DSO-libs should go?

Initially I intend to create these packages by hand. But once
tested, thay can be built when the GCCSDK is built.

With the packages in place, autobuilt shared libraries will
just need to add a dependency to the SharedLib package and
applications will add a dependency to C-libs or C++libs.

The dependency chain will mean that, for instance, a
dependency on C++ libs will cause C-libs, SharedLib and
ELFLoader to all be loaded if not present.

To integrate this into the autobuilder I will remove the automatic
call to elf2aif and modify add-riscpkg so by default it will add
a dependency to C-libs.

I will add command line options to add-riscpkg so that this behaviour
can be overridden easily.

I will initially look at the packages I have already managed to build
on GCC3.4.6 to update them. The SDL games should be a good test
of the system as they all share the sdl library and many use things
like SDL_Mixer and SDL_Image that have dependencies themselves
on other libraries.

Before I can start on anything though I need to know if there are
any objections.

It would be particularly helpful if the developers most closely
assosiated with shared libraries and the autobuilder, i.e. John Tygat,
Lee Noar and Peter Naulls, could let me know if it is okay by them
to proceed as outlined above.

As we have no way of simplifying installation without using riscpkg
presently, I will add notes to the manual installation page on the
autobuilder website to tell users what to do so set up the elf system
by hand by copying the various components out of the relevant
package zip files.

Regards,
Alan