[gccsdk] Building GCC4 in Cygwin

Lee leenoar at sky.com
Fri Feb 1 12:07:31 PST 2008

John Tytgat wrote:
> In message <47A25737.5020909 at chocky.org>
>           Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org> wrote:
>
>> John Tytgat wrote:
>>> Perhaps we can add a check in './build-it' on LTCONFIG_VERSION being
>>> "1.4a-GCC3.0" and if not error out (as it will result in a failed build
>>> anyway) ?
>> So is there any reason we can't fix the offending ltmain.sh so this
>> doesn't occur at all?  e.g, copy the system version.
>
> Interesting suggestion.  This started to become a requirement the moment
> we're started building shared libraries.  I'm not familiar why it is needed
> and why this doesn't work out of the box.  Lee, could you give some insight
> here ?

Unfortunately, I don't know why this variable isn't set as standard, and
setting it directly in the environment seemed the best solution at the
time. Could a fix be as simple as setting it in ltmain.sh (assuming it
isn't auto-generated)? My system version at /usr/share/libtool makes no
reference to this variable at all, so is it specific to GCC?

Lee.