[gccsdk] riscos.info front page, CSS, etc

Adam lists at snowstone.org.uk
Sat Feb 16 04:51:34 PST 2008

In message <436e1b714f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>, Adam wrote:

> I'll have a go at a sample re-design sometime in the next week
> or so, to prompt discussion

Well, turns out I had some time to spend avoiding-doing-real-work
yesterday so had a shot at a new front page.

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Main1

It strikes me the current front page is just a whole load of links which
not much structure to it. Improving the styles/formatting will help
distinguish different parts, but I think it need rationalising so I
decided to split it into "introductory" pages for the main users of the
site - e.g. developers and users. The idea is to have the "headline"
items for each of those two groups on the sub-tables. All the detail
from the current front page (which is basically a big index page) could
go on a sub-page for each group. Hopefully this should avoid having to
clutter-up any individual page with extraneous information.

As for what the "headline" items should be, I could guess, but I wonder
if there are any stats for what the most popular pages are?

The current layout of the news section means it's mainly made up of
dates rather than actual items, so I tidied that up a bit - though I'm
not 100% convinced that the "news" should take up a third of the front
page.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Adam