[gccsdk] Environment handling bugs

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Sat Feb 16 07:20:21 PST 2008

In message <15fbf06e4f.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> You probably find more detail in ChangeLog entries I made and by svn log/diff
> digging but the problem was that the program name given to exec() wasn't
> matching the one in SUL initialise call so that meant that the new process
> didn't inherit the environment.  I solved this by canonicalising the exec
> filename using Run$Path + check if this is a real file.  But again, this
> seems to result in some unwanted behaviour still.

On a slightly related note, I need file redirections to work over exec -
if only for debugging purposes.  I'm referring to line 389 onwards of
exec.c of course, where all the file handles get closed.

In the past, I've locally modified this file.  I know this is tricky to
resolve, for precisely the reasons in the comments; I'm tempted to add
an application specific variable to leave them open in specific
application cases.