[gccsdk] riscos.info front page, CSS, etc

James Scholes james.r.scholes at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 17 13:30:34 PST 2008

In message <cb7b07724f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>
          Adam <lists at snowstone.org.uk> wrote:

> In message <436e1b714f.admin at snowstone.org.uk>, Adam wrote:
>
>> I'll have a go at a sample re-design sometime in the next week
>> or so, to prompt discussion
>
> Well, turns out I had some time to spend avoiding-doing-real-work
> yesterday so had a shot at a new front page.
>
> http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Main1

I'm a fan of some colour in it. The general format looks good too. I
think one of the main issues I have with the current front page is how
much white space there is before you get to any real content.

> It strikes me the current front page is just a whole load of links which
> not much structure to it. Improving the styles/formatting will help
> distinguish different parts, but I think it need rationalising so I
> decided to split it into "introductory" pages for the main users of the
> site - e.g. developers and users. The idea is to have the "headline"
> items for each of those two groups on the sub-tables.

Sounds good. The idea of a user column where 'ordinary' folk can find
out about a bit of hardware or software and a developer column with
separate info would definitely be useful.

[snip]

http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Special:Popularpages (o:

> The current layout of the news section means it's mainly made up of
> dates rather than actual items, so I tidied that up a bit - though I'm
> not 100% convinced that the "news" should take up a third of the front
> page.

Can I suggest trying a two-column layout? Possibly have site news as a
small infobox displayed on the right of the welcome paragraph? It
looks a little cramped if you drop the resolution much.

Opinions expressed here are probably my own, but you can't be too
careful, can you?