[gccsdk] Problem building the crosscompiler on Cygwin

alan buckley alan_baa at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 01:59:08 PDT 2008

> On 28 Oct 2008 23:03:49 Adam wrote:
>
> In message , John Tytgat wrote:
>
>> In message
>> Jan-Jaap van der Geer  wrote:
>>

>>> I know very little about unix and/or cygwin.
>
>>> [...]
>>> /usr/src/packages/autoconf/26/autoconf2.5-2.63-1/src/autoconf-2.63/lib/autoconf/
>>
>> If this means you're using autoconf v2.63, then it is more or less for
>> sure your problem. The GCC 4.1 build really needs autoconf v2.59 and
>> no other version.
>
> Jan-Jaap, as defeatist as this sounds, I'd suggest that if you "know
> very little about unix and/or cygwin" there's little point in you trying
> to get GCCSDK 4.1 to work with Cygwin :(

I'm afraid I disagree with this. I knew very little about unix or cygwin
when I first used the cross-compiler and found it a useful learning
exercise as well as extremely useful once you overcome the problems
and can actually use it.

> Even if you solve the autoconf version problem, you're still going to
> have to find a working version of autogen...
>
> However, if you'd like to persevere ;) Alan Buckley is probably the
> person to ask - perhaps he'll contribute here :)

That's me!

The important thing is to check you have the correct version of
things installed as mentioned in the README.

I also use the following file I cut and paste into a cygwin
session to get me going.

export GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN=/home/riscos/cross/bin
export LTCONFIG_VERSION=1.4a-GCC3.0
export WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.9

In fact as I usually end up having to continue the compilation so
I usually change to the gcc4 directory and paste the following
in as well.

cd builddir-cross
make

Please take time to study the README file with gcc4 as re-reading
that has usually got me out of a hole.

Just a warning. It takes ages to build the cross-compiler here on
Windows Vista so you may need to show a lot of patience.

Regards,
Alan