[gccsdk] [GCCSDK commit] cpalmer - r4148 - trunk/autobuilder

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Mon Oct 5 12:55:11 PDT 2009

John Tytgat wrote:
> In message <4AC93444.30309 at maths.otago.ac.nz>
>           Chris Palmer <cpalmer at maths.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>

>> 3. Move the build dependencies to each individual package, so that along
>> with a depends file in each package directory, there is also a
>> build-depends package which says what native tools you need installed.
>> This would reduce the automation of the build process somewhat, in that
>> the current method requires all the native tools installed before you
>> start, so that once that is done the entire build can (in theory)
>> proceed from start to finish without user input.
>

> I like the intention but fear a bit the fallout for the occasional user or
> newbie autobuilder.  Perhaps the list should be splitted in two, the
> ones we consider as vital and the others which are occationally needed
> for building some packages.
>
> If you miss the one of the former list, you get a build error; when you
> miss one of the latter list, you get a warning at start of your build
> that a build error later on might be due to missing build tools.

If were wanted to go all out, we'd build all the tools ourselves
(e.g. OpenEmbedded and recent Vala discussion) and also have explicit
build dependencies.  This solves a number of problems, but it does make
build time much longer, and is a lot of work to do.  I think it'd also
be a major maintenance headache for so few of us.