[gccsdk] Further ArcEm development (or not)

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 02:30:26 PDT 2009

Hi Peter,

> The ArcEm CVS has been static for quite some time.

Last change 2009-09-25?

> The last post to the ArcEm mailing list is more recent, but still over
> a year ago.  In any case, Arculator
> (http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/) is probably a superior emulator.
> However, what I don't want to happen is for it to be lost/forgotten
> just because there's no interest right now.  I think we presently have
> a danger of that with some RISC OS material.

Yes, with some RO stuff, particularly that on user's own individual
sites where they drift away, change ISPs, etc.

> What I'll likely do then is close down the Sourceforge page.  I'll
> import the ArcEm CVS into riscos.info SVN for historic value (if
> anyone really wants write access, just let me know a user
> name/password).  It's possible I might make a final release, and bring
> the HTML pages/ manual to riscos.info and link them into the wiki.
> I'll see also if I can get a mailing list snapshot.

I don't see the point?  arcem.sf.net is the well-known place for it that
has been referenced on the web, mailing lists, and Usenet over many
years.  Sourceforge is unlikely to disappear without notice anytime
soon;  it's not like a user's individual site mentioned above.  The
mailing lists work fine and have a decent archive interface on
mail-archive.com.  (sf.net's is awful.)  Why break all those ties?  I
don't see any benefits.

riscos.info's wiki already links to arcem.sf.net, perhaps a page for it
is all that's needed if you're concerned about it being forgotten?

Cheers,

Ralph.