[gccsdk] fork() call failing

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Sat May 22 03:09:25 PDT 2010

In message <1d41e01851.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
          Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:

> In message <ed3dcc1851.beeb at ron1954.woosh.co.nz>
>           Ron <beeb at woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > While having no problem calling fork() from small demo programs,
> > it allways fails when being called from within the execsh()
> > function. (unix mk program)
> > I can call system(), which uses fork(), I read somewhere.
> > I can use vfork(), but it is has functional differences which
> > are hard to get around, like it cannot return to
> > the caller of execsh().
> > At the end of execsh() is
> >
> > return pid
> >
> > With  pid = fork,  pid can be either 0 or the child process ID,
> > depending on which process is looking at pid.
> > This doesn't happen with vfork().
> >
> Actually it does, after the child encounters _exit(0) the
> Parent is unhalted and it -does- proceed in the normal fork()
> fashion. I might get vfork() to do what's needed yet.

If a child process is started by UnixLib, the parent will be moved away
to make room for the child, the child runs until it exits, the parent
gets moved back to its original place and it continues.

For all clearness, this is all happening as one RISC OS task so parent
and child will not run at the same time.

I think this is confirming what you're seeing as well.

> The executing of TaskWindows may turn out to be a bigger
> problem.

I'm confused why you're mentioning TaskWindow here.  When using fork()/
exec*() etc, the UnixLib behaviour is the same if it is run under TaskWindow
or as standalone task (with or without Wimp_Initialise).

> /bin/sh is converting to a Taskwindow, I've just had instability
> and module space errors so far.

I don't think this is UnixLib related.  If you expect to launch a 2nd
TaskWindow from a 1st TaskWindow, please make sure it works without any
UnixLib involvement first: type "TaskWindow ex" in a TaskWindow.  Does
this work ? Here on RISC OS 6 I get a 2nd TaskWindow opened with the
contents of my current selected directory.  I seem to remember this didn't
work in RISC OS 4 (and presumably neither in RISC OS 5).

But even if this works, I don't believe UnixLib supports a child being
executed under another TaskWindow (it would be nice and perhaps not even
so difficult but I haven't investigated this).