[gccsdk] VFP in GCC 4.1.2

Jeffrey Lee me at phlamethrower.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 12:59:41 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Nick Burrett wrote:

> You will have to re-build Unixlib for targetting VFP because the math
> library requires a configuration change to support the different
> endianness.  FPA using big-endian word ordering but little-endian
> within the words.  Plus you'll likely need to write VFP specific code
> where we've written FPA assembler in the past e.g. initialisation,
> pthread context switching, dtoa(), some math glue code.
>
> There's a bit of work to get all this working properly.  I remember
> doing it some years ago and had a proof-of-concept working under the
> QEMU-RISCOS emulator on Linux and benchmarking some VFP code.  I'd
> have thought you'd want to jump ahead to GCC 4.6 whilst the work is
> being done (if that's not too difficult).

Cheers Nick. After a bit of searching I've now found the file that
controls the multilib settings, so I think I've managed to answer my
question about how to set up an extra unixlib configuration.

I was planning on using GCC 4.1.2 because I was under the impression that
a stable 4.6 release was still a long way off. But after checking the GCC
website I see that it's now only about a month away from release.

How stable is our 4.6 branch? I might have a go at working with that if
there aren't any serious problems with it.

Cheers,

- Jeffrey