[gccsdk] Something broken in trunk GCCSDK?

Martin Wuerthner martin at mw-software.com
Thu Sep 9 16:49:00 PDT 2010

In message <568e485451.Jo at hobbes.bass-software.com>

> In message <f526415451.martin at bach.planiverse.com> you wrote:

>> Last week-end I tried building an ARMv7-compatible Ghostscript
>> executable. To do so, I checked out the trunk GCCSDK, built a
>> cross-compiler (on openSuSE 11.2), which went smoothly and compiled
>> the vanilla Ghostscript 8.54 sources.
>>
>> At first glance the resulting executable works (e.g., it renders PDF
>> files and converts PS to PDF fine), but it shows one striking oddity:
>> When you run it using
>>   gs -h
>> then it displays:
>> Ghostscript 8.54<without a line feed, so the cursor remains here>
>>
>> That behaviour is wrong. It is supposed to display the version date
>> after the number and many additional lines of help information.

> Not good :-( Does <Esc> work ? <Alt><Break> ? <Ctrl>-G ?

No need. Maybe the above was not clear. The program does not hang. It
exits cleanly, but with only part of the expected output.

> It sounds like an output buffer flush problem.

Yes, that sounds likely.

>> [...] So, I am wondering whether anyone has an idea which change could
>> have caused such an effect. Has there been a change in output stream
>> handling in Unixlib?

> My first guess is indeed a possible regression (or latent bug now being
> triggered) with UnixLib changes I made on 2 Jan 2010 and 21 Jan 2010 :
> r4398 and r4459.

OK, I will try a build using r4459, and if that still fails, with
r4397. If your theory is correct then r4397 should work and r4459
should fail.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner          MW Software          martin at mw-software.com