[gccsdk] GCC Cross Compiler build failing at asasm

John Tytgat John.Tytgat at aaug.net
Sat Dec 15 04:53:11 PST 2012

In message <mpro.mf2l2g02iko9c01kz.lists at stevefryatt.org.uk>
          Steve Fryatt <lists at stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm trying to build the latest version of the cross-compiler, on an Ubuntu
> 10.04 system. I've managed to get GCC itself to build, but the process is
> now sticking on asasm -- the documentation and Google don't seem to help
> (beyond the latter pointing to manually invoking libtoolize, which doesn't
> seem to help beyond producing similar mesages).
>
> The output is as follows; any suggestions as to what to do next?

Was this all built from a fresh checkout ? Or an older checkout which
you updated with 'svn update' ? If the latter, did you do a 'make clean'
before building ? I'm just trying to get a better context on this problem.

> steve at castlerigg:~/GCCSDK/gcc4$ ./build-world
> test -d buildstepsdir || mkdir buildstepsdir
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/steve/GCCSDK/gcc4'
> cd /home/steve/GCCSDK/gcc4/riscos && ./build-it cross
> +++ Building asasm
> libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
> configure.ac:18: required file `../ltmain.sh' not found
> autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1
> make[1]: *** [cross-riscostools-built] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/GCCSDK/gcc4'
> make: *** [getenv] Error 2

The directory structure of asasm sources has changed some time ago and
my guess is that you've still old autotool related files there which are
outdated (i.e. not suited for the current directory structure) and not
re-generated.  Instead of advocating a good 'make clean' + ./build-world
again, you might get away with:

  $ cd riscos/asasm
  $ svn status --no-ignore | grep ^I | cut -b 9- | xargs rm -rf

And redo the ./build-world

John Tytgat, in his comfy chair at home
John.Tytgat at aaug.net