[gccsdk] stderr 2 file advantage

Ron beeb at woosh.co.nz
Wed Dec 19 16:57:07 PST 2012

I'm not using the very latest crosscompiler, but I think this will be
unchanged.
Using my port of tar

tar -xvf ztmp.tar

stops with "UnixLib detected recursion of signal SIGSEGV.  Exiting."
when I encounter a pax format tar, (unless I specify --format=pax)

I set about trapping the error (in an obey file way) by using

tar -xvf ztmp.tar 2> errlog

so I could check a file for an error.

But when I do this, the program /does/ create the file errlog,
but it remains empty, and tar now continues on and extracts the
pax format tar perfectly as if --format=pax has been used!

A good result, but it raises the question why, and does stderr
always need to be directed somewhere for better behaviour?

Ron M.