[gccsdk] Default source repository

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Fri Jan 20 07:56:56 PST 2012

On 01/19/2012 04:56 PM, Theo Markettos wrote:
> Many of the autobuilder packages are broken due to movements upstream.  This
> is because the default repository used for them is either Debian 'testing'
> or Debian 'unstable', which move on a daily basis.  There was a previous
> suggestion that a less volatile repository be used, so that efforts don't
> have to focus on a moving target.

> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> Release: Apr 2012 (beta available in a few weeks)
> Supported until: Apr 2017

Probably.  Being stuck at a Debian release which takes a long time
definitely isn't great.  It's been a long time since I was doing
regular updates on this stuff - and there was a time when all
the libraries actually built, which is really the major maintenance
problem here - since then you only need to focus on the apps.

However, it turned out that at that time that I did really want
to keep track of latest versions of stuff for the focus of
apps I was looking at at the time.  Linux has matured a lot
since then, so it might not be the same big deal.  But you
will still be lumped having to update every 6 months.  Likewise,
if someone keeps on top of changes (say, once every few weeks),
it's not a big deal to follow unstable.

If I were to do this over, I would look at the OpenWrt
sources.  That's a router distribution, but the practical
focus is cross compiling/patches/packages and design
of Makefiles to achieve that in a much better way than
I knocked up for our AB.