[gccsdk] GCC - failed to merge ...

Gavin Wraith gavin at wra1th.plus.com
Sat Nov 21 08:14:31 PST 2015

Back in September, with much kind assistance, I managed to compile
Lua 5.3.1 with GCC 4.7.4. Now Lua 5.3.2 is out. But, although I
think my makefile is the same, and there have been no changes
in filenames, the compilation fails with errors

  error: lua.o uses FPA instructions, whereas lua6 does not
  failed to merge target specific data of file lua.o
      --- etc ---

Two queries: 1. Does FPA imply that is not VFP?
             2. Does GCC retain information from previous compilations?

The reason I ask is because I did use GCC to compile a softfp version
for non-ARMv7 platforms.

My makefile has

CC= gcc -std=gnu99
CFLAGS= -O2 -Wall -Wextra $(SYSCFLAGS) $(MYCFLAGS)
LDFLAGS= $(SYSLDFLAGS) $(MYLDFLAGS)
LIBS= $(SYSLIBS) $(MYLIBS)

AR= ar rcu
RANLIB= ranlib
RM= rm -f

SYSCFLAGS= -mfpu=vfp -mtune=cortex-a7
SYSLDFLAGS=
SYSLIBS= -ldl

MYCFLAGS= -DRISCOS -v
MYLDFLAGS=
MYLIBS=
MYOBJS=

I was expecting -mfpu=vfp to cause lua.o to have vfp instructions (actually it
does not use any floating point instructions). And how can GCC tell me that
lua6 does not have this or that floating point format when lua6 is the target
and so should presumably have the same fp format as all the files which
comprise it?

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin at wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/