[gccsdk] wget 1.19.1 tries to write a logfile

Ron ronanon at zoho.com
Thu Sep 21 02:34:03 PDT 2017

In article <mpro.ovjihf005ibqb01yb.pittdj at pittdj.co.uk>,
   David Pitt <pittdj at pittdj.co.uk> wrote:
> Kevin Wells, on 28 Aug, wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > When using wget 1.19.1 with the quiet option selected I get the
> > following message:
> >
> > Redirecting output to 'wget-log.##'
> >
> > The ## is a number that increases each time.
> >
> > The file is a log of the connection details of wget.
> >
> > Previous versions did not display this.

> Having done further tests I am seeing the apparently spurious
> 'wget-log' both with and without the '-q' flag. This is both with the
> currency command line example given and a simple wget from my site.

> *wget --version
> GNU Wget 1.19.1 built on riscos.

> *wget http://www.pittdj.co.uk/temp/temp.htm

> Redirecting output to 'wget-log'.
> *
> *wget http://www.pittdj.co.uk/temp/temp.htm -q

> Redirecting output to 'wget-log.1'.
> *

> The '-q' flag results in an empty 'wget-log' file.

> Using wget 1.18, home built here with autobuilder revision 7118, the log
> output defaults to the screen as expected with no redrection.

> wget 1.19.1-3ubuntu1 on Ubuntu 17.10 (development branch) does not redirect
> either.
>
> FWIW HTH

While testing  1.19.1 I awas already using currency convertor daily and
never encountered this, apparently because I have
logfile = /RAM::Ramdisc0/$/wgt.log
in my (unixhome) /wgetrc file.

Setting
logfile = /dev/null
stops all output.

The commandline version would be
-o /dev/null

I dont know why --quiet is not working.
The logfile output is quite separate to the output document processing
where my change (close open file) was made I think.
but a build of 1.19.1 without my patches should verify that.

Ron M (just back from sunny Queensland)