[gccsdk] Is it time for a new version of GCC4?

Steffen Huber steffen at huber-net.de
Sat May 9 10:33:40 PDT 2020

Hi Lee,

> Lee Noar <lee.noar at sky.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately, I've not been able to build GNAT. The build always fails
> with:
>
> a-cbdlli.ads:38:14: violation of restriction "No_Finalization" at
> system.ads:47

I think this is a problem of supplying the correct system.ads for ARM/RISC OS. system.ads contains a lot of base specifications for the respective platform - endianess, exception stuff, pragmas for selecting things related to implementation of the Ada runtime.

> I've even tried building GCC 9.3 in the hope that they've fixed it,
> but the result is the same. Perhaps this is the incompatibility you
> mention.

The incompatibility I know of is a detail in the ARM backend which is only triggered by Ada (something wrt trampolines when implementing exceptions) but not by C/C++ which is the only thing the ARM backend maintainers have in focus.

Thanks anyway - I should really look into this myself (since I am probably the only one with a vague interest in Ada), but I fear the learning curve. I think there are a lot of options nowadays to reduce relying on large parts of the standard runtime, and for my only Ada project, I only need an absolute minimum runtime (probably the equivalent of the SharedCLib) and could even replace a lot of that.

Steffen

--
Steffen Huber LambdaComm System – Welcome to Trollinger Country
steffen at huber-net.de
Private homepage http://www.huber-net.de/
RISC OS Blog http://riscosblog.huber-net.de/