[Rpcemu] Networking

Alex Waugh alex at alexwaugh.com
Sun Nov 18 18:32:48 GMT 2007

Tom Walker <tommowalker at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have uploaded the current progress of my networking implementation to
>
> http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/network.zip
>
> This presently doesn't quite work - everything I've tried gives a 'failed to
> find hostname' error. However, this is an improvement over what happened
> before (nothing). I'm releasing it on the off chance that someone has the
> relevant knowledge to fix it. Some notes :
>
> - This does actually access the network, my firewall confirms this.

If you aren't using it already, I'd recommend installing Wireshark which
is a great help in debugging this kind of issue.

> - You will need the latest SVN of RPCemu for this to work at all.
>
> - The ROM based modules don't work at the moment, as they have been linked
> with newer versions of libraries than are present in the RISC OS roms I've
> tried. I've provided David Ruck's source code for these, and have also
> included hacked copies of the modules that will address the podule as long as
> it is podule 2 (this is the case if it is the only DLL podule loaded). Fixing
> the ROM modules should be easy with the correct tools (which I don't have) -
> David says it should just be a recompile.
>
> - There are no timeouts in the podule - there were originally but the
> required functionality wasn't in RPCemu when I first ported this and I
> haven't put it back in yet.
>
> - This is Windows only. It therefore seems to complement Alex Waugh's code,
> which seems to be Linux only.

Yes, my code is currently Linux only, although it should be trivial to
get it working on *BSD and probably MacOS X. I believe Windows has a
tap driver, so it should theoretically be possible to port to Windows if
someone wanted to put in the effort.
As your code is Windows only, I'll tidy mine up and check it in then.

Alex

Alex Waugh                                           alex at alexwaugh.com