[Rpcemu] Thoughts on RPCemu development

jess hampshire jesshampshire at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 3 14:02:30 BST 2007

On 03/09/07, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:

> >I suspect what the G8 did was map video RAM in podule space
> >(16k at a time) and the special software paged this around as
> >VDU calls required.

> According to <http://acorn.chriswhy.co.uk/docs/StateMachine/G8_User_Guide.pdf> the 'G8 Professional' card had a megabyte of VRAM but could not use it in the RISC OS desktop.  So I suspect they weren't bothering to trick or redirect VDU calls but had their own graphics API (for which no software was ever written).

So presumably it would switch to full screen when using this. Or Be a
dual screen system, with the program outputting to the hi resolution
screen.

Which wouldn't be much use in the absence of software.

However, it does occur to me that it should be possible to run RISC OS
task windows outside the main screen ie those that would normally
appear in an edit/stronged/zap window. Either in terminal type windows
on the host desktop, or in unused space on the emulator's screen when
in smaller modes.

--
Jess
mailto:jesshampshire at googlemail.com     http://jess.itworkshop-nexus.net

For efficiency and clarity, plain text emails with interleaved,
trimmed replies only please. (RFC 1855)