[Rpcemu] Network access

Richard Walker richardwalker at letterboxes.org
Tue Sep 18 19:44:26 BST 2007

On 18 Sep 2007, at 18:33, Alex Waugh wrote:

> I'm thinking that something that intercepts SWI calls to the internet
> module and converts them to socket calls on the host (in the same way
> that HostFS does for filing system calls) would be simpler and more
> useful than trying to emulate ethernet hardware.

I don't know if you know this already, but... Red Squirrel / VA did
the same thing.  Graeme knocked-up a 'dummy' Internet module which
replaced the official RISC OS one.  I tried an early beta, and it
was extremely effective.

I think some purists felt that the 'proper' way forward for a machine
emulator was to emulate the hardware (so it would even work in Linux,
NetBSD or RISC iX) but realistically, it's not worth it.  I bet it
hasn't cost Virtual Acorn any sales!