[Rpcemu] Packaging RPCEmu (was: Just starting!)

Theo Markettos rpcemu at markettos.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 12:22:19 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 11:16:18AM +0100, P.J.G. Long wrote:
> 7) Once the boot sequence is in place hostfs seemed to appear, but note it
> does need to be lower case hostfs, not HOSTFS as in the download.

Good point.  I looked in the zip and there are a few other things broken,
like missing executable attributes for some of the scripts, and the COPYING
file is empty.  Tom, can I send you a new tar.gz for 0.7 on Linux to replace
the zip on the website?

> I don't know if my experiences are typical, but I guess there would
> significantly more take up if there were .debs etc available, especially if
> they were compiled against stable so the user doesn't need dev/testing
> environment.
>
> Also include direct access to the allegro libs as these were not in my
> distribution.

That's probably a good idea.  If someone were to do this (not that I'm
volunteering as such, but I have had a quick look) there are some bits that
need tidying up first, like making explicit paths for things like ROMs and
hostfs.  What would peoples' opinions be on which version to package?  Is
0.7 the most stable version currently, or is the code in subversion up to a
releasable standard or likely to be soon (in beta form, say)?  I don't want
to force anyone to release, but just wondered if there's a more recent
stable releasepoint in SVN than 0.7?

While it would be possible to change the old code, it would make more sense
to contribute the changes directly into subversion.  Perhaps just regular
builds of the SVN would be easier?  It would be nice, though, to have a more
stale releasepoint people can revert to if necessary.

Theo