[Rpcemu] Launching RPCemu in Linux

Terry Duell tduell at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 29 16:11:58 PDT 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:34:36 +1000, Ian Hamilton <Ian.Hamilton at aaug.net>
wrote:

> In article <op.uv9brd07rs0ygh at phenom.terrys.net.au>, Terry Duell
> <tduell at iinet.net.au> wrote:
[snip]
>> At this stage I guess the way to do is as Jan has suggested.
>
>> I have no trouble running a script from a desktop icon, that works
>> quite well, but doesn't start RPCemu from a terminal, which I prefer
>> to do, to keep an eye on messages. Maybe that need will go away as
>> RPCemu matures.
>
> Nautilus will only ask if you want to run in a terminal if you have
> configured it to do so. Edit Preferences - Behaviour tab - set 'Ask each
> time' for Executable text files.

Yes, I know about that. Perhaps I misunderstand you, but that process
depends on one opening the dir, and double clicking on the script file. If
I have to do that it I haven't gained much over using 'open in a terminal'
and enter ./rpcemu.
What I was referring to was starting RPCemu from a terminal, and all done
(the terminal opened, and RPCemu started) from simply double clicking a
desktop icon which runs a script that does all the doings. The tricky bit
is to find out how to get the script to open the terminal window and then
run RPCemu from that window.
Desktop icon launching via a terminal isn't an absolute necessity, but now
that I have tried and failed I would really like to figure out how to open
a terminal window from a script and then run a command from the terminal,
but perhaps that is more of Linux issue that the problem I started out
with.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Terry Duell