[Rpcemu] RPCemu spoon edition on Mac OS (Snow Leopard)

Francis Devereux francis at devrx.org
Fri Sep 18 00:23:41 PDT 2009

On 17 Sep 2009, at 17:24, Al Webb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Having been a RISC OS user for many years but now many years ago,
> when I reluctantly decided to become an
> Apple user earlier this year (with a new 2009 iMac running Mac OS X
> 10.5.6) I was very keen to trial RPCemu. I
> successfully managed to install spoon edition v0.8.3 using RISC OS
> 4.02 ROM images, following the
> instructions on http://www.riscos.info/index.php/RPCEmu_Mac_Guide
> (and a tweak of administrator permissions which were necessary).
>
> I've migrated applications and data from an A5000 running RISC OS
> 3.10, and given the difference in
> software, OS & CPU, I was expecting some challenges. I'm still
> trying to get to the bottom of a number of
> them which I might have to raise here in the future if that's ok?,
> but in the meantime I'm planning to do
> the following:
> - upgrade (from MAC OS X 10.5.6) to 10.6 Snow Leopard;
> - upgrade to Mac OS 10.6.1;
> - upgrade RPCemu to 0.8.5.
>
> I'd like to ask if anyone has succesfully run RPCemu spoon on Mac OS
> 10.6.1 yet at all please?
> I particularly question it as when I run RPCemu (from Terminal), it
> currently shows a message "Warning
> once: This application, or a library it uses, is using
> NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps
> should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz" which I guess is
> regarding Allegro-4.2.2 (??). I did
> some web searches on that message which didn't suggest anything
> serious but of course I want to make sure Snow Leopard won't
> introduce problems. Has anyone done this upgrade and/or resolved
> that error message?

I can't answer your question directly, but the warning about
NSQuickDrawView appears on Leopard as well.

I have been (slowly) working on patches to RPCEmu to add a Cocoa GUI
and Mac OS X networking support, and my changes are nearly ready for
initial release.  At one point I think I had a quick go at using
Allegro 4.9.x but it looked non-trivial because some of the API had
changed.

Francis