[Rpcemu] Clear Up Confusion over Which Version.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 04:27:55 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've recently started to look at RPCemu;  a nice piece of work Tom,
thanks.  But I find the current situation regarding versions to be
unclear.

There's the riscos.info one, http://www.riscos.info/index.php/RPCEmu,
which makes the source available under SVN and links to binaries on
Tom's site for 0.7.  It also links to the binaries provided by...

...the second version, Spoon Edition, http://marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/,
which is making steady versioned releases, latest 0.8.5, with a Windows
installer and tar.gz of source code, but no source respository.

AIUI, the Spoon Edition is aiming at releasing stable versions which I
think is welcome given I know of non-developers that would like to move
off their Risc PC hardware but couldn't put up with an emulator that
crashes frequently anymore than they'd put up with flakey hardware.

The riscos.info SVN hasn't been modified since 2009-05-14.

    http://www.riscos.info/websvn/listing.php?repname=rpcemu&path=%2F&rev=0

So as someone left with tinkering I've a dilemma.  There seems little
point using riscos.info's SVN if Spoon is moving upwards and onwards.
Yet with Spoon, I've only the last release tar.gz to work with so I've
no visibility of not-yet-released stuff and any patches I generate may
not apply cleanly because of that.

Is anyone working on riscos.info's SVN now?  If the main folks involved
with that now find they're not planning on doing anymore, perhaps they
now don't have the time, etc., then could they say so.  That way the
rest of us will know to concentrate on Spoon.

And could Spoon consider making their SCM visible as well as doing their
regular versioned stable releases for non-developers?  If old-hat
Subversion is disliked due to its centralised nature then places like
https://launchpad.net/ will host a GPL project for free using Bazaar.

Cheers,

Ralph.