[Rpcemu] RPCEmu for Mac OS X work in progress release

Francis Devereux francis at devrx.org
Tue Sep 29 14:03:15 PDT 2009

Hi,

I think it's about time that the RPCEmu changes I have been working on
are freed from my the confines of hard drive ;-)

The main additions to the Subversion version are:
  - Support for networking
  - Working dynarec
  - Cocoa GUI
  - Application bundle (i.e. it comes as RPCEmu.app which is a normal
OS X application)

Note that it is still very much a work in progress and has plenty of
known bugs.  For example, it crashes every time you quit it!  Also, it
does not work on Snow Leopard 10.6.1 - it runs but mouse input is
ignored.

If you would like to give it a try you can download it from http://www.devrx.org/software/rpcemu/rpcemu-fjd-20090929.tar.gz
.  To install, untar it by double clicking on rpcemu-
fjd-20090929.tar.gz and then move RPCEmu.app into /Applications (or
wherever you want to keep it).

It has only been tested on OS X Leopard 10.5.8.  rpcemu-
fjd-20090929.tar.gz includes source and an Intel binary, although it
is possible to compile a PowerPC version from source.

The first time you run it will prompt you for a data directory.  This
is the directory that contains rpc.cfg, roms, hostfs and hard disc
files.  You can either choose an existing directory or choose an empty
directory (~/Library/Application Support/RPCEmu by default) which
RPCEmu will set up by copying the ROM file you choose to it.

For more details, including instructions on how to set up networking,
see rpcemu-fjd-20090929/src/README-MacOSX.

I'm be happy to help with getting these changes into Subversion and/or
the Spoon Edition.  The source code in rpcemu-fjd-20090929.tar.gz is
based on Subversion r168.

Francis