[Rpcemu] I'm baffled

Steve Fryatt lists at stevefryatt.org.uk
Wed Jan 6 14:41:15 PST 2010

On 5 Jan, Philip Glover wrote in message
    <4B439746.7010208 at theglovers.name>:

> Hello there,
>        As my Mico was getting old, and could not cope with broadband, my
> sons provided me a year ago with an old "windows" box running Ubuntu 0.8.
> ,on which I installed RPCEmu 0,8.2, which allowed me to run my favourite
> progs from the Mico, albeit all very slowly.
>        Now I have "upgraded" to a new Acer running Ubuntu 0.9.

Are you sure about those Ubuntu versions?  It's not vital, but the recent
versions have run 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10.

> I used a USB stick to transfer settings and also the Emu programme to the
> new machine- but as I rather thought, it would not run.

In what way did it "not run"?  Error messages?

[snip]

> HOWEVER, by chance I opened the original copy on the USB. and
> inadvertently clicked on the Emu run-file, (or whatever it is called in
> Linux), and Lo and behold, everything loaded and worked , but extremely
> quickly compared to the old machine! Why should it work from one source,
> but not from another?

File ownerships and/or permissions are the most likely contenders.

In the Ubuntu file manager, go to the View->Visible Columns... and turn on
Owner, Group and Permissions.  Now look at all the RPCemu files in the two
locations (the ones that don't run, and the ones that do), and spot the
differences.

Critically, are the owner and group you, and do the files you're trying to
run have the first 'x' (execute) permission set (the fourth letter in the
row, or "user execute").

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/