[Rpcemu] Using RiscPC IDE diskimage as hd4.hdf

Phil Morris phil.2608 at btconnect.com
Sun Jan 24 00:49:55 PST 2010

Hello

I seem to be having a bit of a 'virtualisation frenzy' at the moment which
has strayed dangerously to my old RiscPC (which still works of course).

I have ubuntu x86 and am building/running rpcemu happily.

I have imaged my old RiscOS HDD (Conner CFS1275A) by plugging it in to my PC
and using 'dd' to dump a complete disc image.

I want to simply call this image hd4.hdf and have rpcemu boot from it but
the emulator complains that the disc is not understood ?

Has anyone else done this ? Are there any bug fixes in this area ?

To my surprise I found that ubuntu includes native support for ADFS, so :

Sudo mount -o loop -t adfs hd4.adf /mnt

Actually works and allows me to see the disc image so it seems that the
image file is ok (although copying to rpcemu hd4 via hostfs loses filetypes)

Of course rpcemu works when it creates its own hd4.hdf file (using HForm
etc).

This implies to me that there is a bug of sorts in the ide driver that is
masked when it is used to write and read a disk image but is evident when
you try to read a previously created image.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Phil.