[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Thu Mar 18 06:11:30 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:51:53PM +0000, David wrote:
> In article <50f91a5d8edavid at ukpoets.net>, David <david at ukpoets.net>
> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > I think it's time to pack this attempt in and start from the
> > beginning again. With the advice you've given me, I might be able to
> > get a bit further, and maybe even get there eventually!
>
> I've gone back to the start and just followed the instructions on the
> "RPCEmu_Linux_Guide" page.

This page is beginning to look less useful as new versions come out. I'll
look into updating it.

> Using a RO 4.02 rom image, I can get what seems a stable emulator up
> and running, although there are still several features I haven't got as
> far as trying because it's really not much use to me - some of my apps
> don't work, which is why I never upgraded to RO 4.
>
> Reverting to 3.70: I can get it running with the following two RISC OS
> errors on start up:

When you reverted back to 3.70, did you install a 3.70 compatible !Boot
file, or just use the one from your 4.02 install ?

>   Internal error: abort on data transfer at &021934AC
>   Internal error: abort on data transfer at &02192FD4
>     (I've no idea what these refer to.)

Cos that might be down to incompatible software in !Boot

Also are you installing !Boot to HostFS or too the Harddrive image?

> but after it seems okay until I try to do something about the hard
> drive. Instead of following the instructions for the ADFS disc, I
> thought I'd try using the hard drive image downloads.
>
> First the smaller one: this caused the emulator to quit immediately
> until I started with Delete held down when it started up okay (but with
> the abort on data transfer errors).
>
> The 1GB drive image though caused the emulator to hang at the start-up
> banner with the hourglass showing.

Did you noticed there are two different HD formats? One preformatted for
longfilenames (3.80 or later) and one for earlier versions (3.71 and
earlier).

I've never tried to see what happens when you use a longfilename one
on the earlier OS, it might crash, but it certainly won't work in some
way.

Peter

--
Peter Howkins