[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

David david at ukpoets.net
Thu Mar 18 09:06:22 PDT 2010

In article <20100318131130.GA21999 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:51:53PM +0000, David wrote:
> >
> > I've gone back to the start and just followed the instructions on
> > the "RPCEmu_Linux_Guide" page.

> This page is beginning to look less useful as new versions come out.
> I'll look into updating it.

I'm pleased to be able to say that I've now got a rudimentary RO 3.70
emulator up and running, albeit without several features.

I think I might have given up trying without your help, so many thanks!

> > Using a RO 4.02 rom image, I can get what seems a stable emulator
> > up and running, although there are still several features I haven't
> > got as far as trying because it's really not much use to me - some
> > of my apps don't work, which is why I never upgraded to RO 4.
> >
> > Reverting to 3.70: I can get it running with the following two RISC
> > OS errors on start up:

> When you reverted back to 3.70, did you install a 3.70 compatible
> !Boot file, or just use the one from your 4.02 install ?

I went through the installation sequence as per the
"RPCEmu_Linux_Guide" page. However, all I get is the 2D desktop: I
don't know if this is supposed to be right; it doesn't equate to the
illustrations in the Guide. Could this be due to the aborts?

> >   Internal error: abort on data transfer at &021934AC Internal
> >   error: abort on data transfer at &02192FD4 (I've no idea what
> >   these refer to.)

> Cos that might be down to incompatible software in !Boot

Or possibly to some configuration problems? After changing some
configurations (setting ADFSBuffers to 0, for example), those two
errors no longer occur but I get another similar error: abort on data
transfer at &021930AC.

> Also are you installing !Boot to HostFS or too the Harddrive image?

Following instructions again - it's going into the "Boot drive" which
is the EmuFS system/hostfs folder.

> > but after it seems okay until I try to do something about the hard
> > drive. Instead of following the instructions for the ADFS disc, I
> > thought I'd try using the hard drive image downloads.
> >
> > First the smaller one: this caused the emulator to quit immediately
> > until I started with Delete held down when it started up okay (but
> > with the abort on data transfer errors).
> >
> > The 1GB drive image though caused the emulator to hang at the
> > start-up banner with the hourglass showing.

> Did you noticed there are two different HD formats? One preformatted
> for longfilenames (3.80 or later) and one for earlier versions (3.71
> and earlier).

> I've never tried to see what happens when you use a longfilename one
> on the earlier OS, it might crash, but it certainly won't work in
> some way.

Yes, I'm well aware of the differences and used the correct format.
I've settled on the 256MB drive as the 1GB seemed to cause problems. So
far - touch wood - I've kept this emulation going through dozens of
starts and shutdowns and run some software with no problems.

I've yet to copy my RPC boot into it and see if it copes.

With the experiences I've had, I've adopted the procedure of taking a
back-up copy of the complete rpcemu directory before each new step.
It's proved a useful measure.

The only two remaining problems I've got at this point is that sound
doesn't work and neither does the CDRom. This latter is most annoying
because the Guide talks about altering settings via the "RPCEmu menu"
and, as far as I can see, there isn't one! I checked the symbolic link
as per instructions and that was okay so I must assume the setting is
wrong and needs changing. Any idea how to change it?

Also, is the Terminal supposed to keep displaying lines about the MIPS?
I note the 0.8.6 version has the information in the window title,
leaving the Terminal alone.

And is it detrimental to remove the two unneeded floppy drives?

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net