[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Sat Mar 20 09:01:38 PDT 2010

http://www.riscos.info/pipermail/rpcemu/2010-March/000806.html

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:30:54AM +0000, David wrote:
> > Until today I had no idea that a program called Archive Mounter
> > existed. However in the instructions I told you to use the
> > commandline 'tar' program. You really need to follow the
> > instructions, else I'll have no idea if you're trying one thing
> > whilst I think you're testing another.
>
> Yes, sorry about that. I think you'll find that, unless they're told to
> follow instructions precisely, most people are likely to interpret your
>
> | - Decompress src
> |  >tar xvfz rpcemu-0.8.6.tar.gz
>
> as meaning just "de-archive the source", seeing that you are using the
> command line for everything but also knowing that GUI options to do the
> same job exist.

I'm trying to minimise the differences between your and my systems. As
such I'm asking you to do things in a specific way, that I know works. If
you do it differently I'll be unable to help you.

> And it's not easy to know when it matters or not. E.g. the Guide page
> states:
>
> | Create two directories in the rpcemu dir:
> |   mkdir hostfs
> |   mkdir poduleroms
>
> Does it really need the command line to do this or will doing it
> through the normal GUI method work just as well?

OK, now I'm getting annoyed, you will notice in my instructions, I don't
mention creating these directories. This is because you don't need too,
because the already exist.

I'll be very specific now. Ignore everything on the RPCEMU Linux Guide
page and step through the instructions I gave you, these are a
*replacement* set of instructions, do not mix and match bits. Don't do
things that arn't in the instructions, and do accurately the things that
are written in it.

> And, as for following instructions precisely, "mkdir poduleroms"
> returns an error message that the file already exists. Does the
> existing 'poduleroms' need to be deleted so that one can be created as
> instructed (so getting rid of the emufs files)?

Erm, EmuFS? How did any EmuFS files get into your tree? They arn't in the
0.8.6 source archive that I told you to start from scratch with. Seriously
start with a completly empty directory and follow the instructions, if
you'd been following the instructions EmuFS couldn't exist in the tree.

And once again, completely ignore everything written in the RPCEmu Linux
guide (until this is all sorted).

> > >ldd rpcemu
>
> david at david-desktop:~/rpcemu-0.8.6/src$ ldd rpcemu
> 	liballeg.so.4.2 => /usr/lib/liballeg.so.4.2 (0x00942000)

That's fine.

> > And also tell me how you installed allegro on your system.
>
> As far as I know by following the instructions on the Linux Guide page.
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion liballegro4.2
> liballegro4.2-dev liballegro4.2-plugin-jack unzip wget

Good that's normal.

Peter

--
Peter Howkins