[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

David david at ukpoets.net
Sat Mar 20 09:57:42 PDT 2010

In article <20100320160138.GA17526 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> http://www.riscos.info/pipermail/rpcemu/2010-March/000806.html

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:30:54AM +0000, David wrote:
> > > Until today I had no idea that a program called Archive Mounter
> > > existed. However in the instructions I told you to use the
> > > commandline 'tar' program. You really need to follow the
> > > instructions, else I'll have no idea if you're trying one thing
> > > whilst I think you're testing another.
> >
> > Yes, sorry about that. I think you'll find that, unless they're
> > told to follow instructions precisely, most people are likely to
> > interpret your
> >
> > | - Decompress src
> > |  >tar xvfz rpcemu-0.8.6.tar.gz
> >
> > as meaning just "de-archive the source", seeing that you are using
> > the command line for everything but also knowing that GUI options
> > to do the same job exist.

> I'm trying to minimise the differences between your and my systems.
> As such I'm asking you to do things in a specific way, that I know
> works. If you do it differently I'll be unable to help you.

Yes, I appreciate that.

> > And it's not easy to know when it matters or not. E.g. the Guide
> > page states:
> >
> > | Create two directories in the rpcemu dir: mkdir hostfs mkdir
> > |   poduleroms
> >
> > Does it really need the command line to do this or will doing it
> > through the normal GUI method work just as well?

> OK, now I'm getting annoyed, you will notice in my instructions, I
> don't mention creating these directories. This is because you don't
> need too, because the already exist.

Yes. I'm sorry if it annoyed you but I was just using it to illustrate
that someone who isn't used to Linux at the command line level and who
isn't used to testing development releases of software, can come up
against many problematic things which he has to work around; I wasn't
stating that I'd interpersed RPCEMU Linux Guide instructions with yours.

> I'll be very specific now. Ignore everything on the RPCEMU Linux
> Guide page and step through the instructions I gave you, these are a
> *replacement* set of instructions, do not mix and match bits. Don't
> do things that arn't in the instructions, and do accurately the
> things that are written in it.

Yes, that's what I did

> > And, as for following instructions precisely, "mkdir poduleroms"
> > returns an error message that the file already exists. Does the
> > existing 'poduleroms' need to be deleted so that one can be created
> > as instructed (so getting rid of the emufs files)?

> Erm, EmuFS? How did any EmuFS files get into your tree? They arn't in
> the 0.8.6 source archive that I told you to start from scratch with.
> Seriously start with a completly empty directory and follow the
> instructions, if you'd been following the instructions EmuFS
> couldn't exist in the tree.

No, as I said above, I was using that part of the RPCEMU Linux Guide
instructions in my defence of the accusations made against me. I
thought I had stated _clearly_ that it was an example of not knowing
when it really matters - or doesn't - to follow instructions exactly as
written.

> And once again, completely ignore everything written in the RPCEmu
> Linux guide (until this is all sorted).

Yes but unfortunately, having to defend myself has become muddled in
with reporting the results of my following your new instructions.

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net