[Rpcemu] A pleasant blue window...

David david at ukpoets.net
Sun Mar 21 16:18:43 PDT 2010

In article <20100321192638.GA12577 at spod.org>, Peter Howkins
<rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 10:27:02PM +0000, David wrote:
> >
> > After much effort digging out my wife's unused RPC and a lot of
> > floppy formatting, I've got another rom image.

> I've now tested both yours and your wife's ROM images and can confirm
> they fail in the way you describe on the windows version of RPCEmu.
> Given this runs my own 'known good' version of RISC OS 3.70 without
> issue, your problems have been tracked down to corrupt (in some way)
> ROM Images.

> As such, visit this site,

> http://rolf.yuss.org/~aaront/

> download the 3.71 'known good' rom image, and follow the instructions
> here,

> http://www.riscos.info/pipermail/rpcemu/2010-March/000806.html

> and see how far you get.

> My personal advice is to delete the two 3.70 rom images you have,
> before they lead you astray again.

Phew!

I find that I could probably have had the menu long ago - except that
for me it's not Ctrl-End, it's Shift-Ctrl-End - and it's also a bit hit
and miss, sometimes not appearing.

The CD_ROM works (if I ignore the drive empty messages) to the extent
that I can get a root window displayed. Unfortunately, I can't open any
files or directories or copy anything from the CD. All attempts result
in drive empty error messages.

No sound (well, no beep: I haven't tried anything else).

The 3.71 rom works, as does the 'vanilla' 3.70 rom image I extracted
from this RPC after a power on with shift & * (??) held down - the
sha1sum of which equalled that of Ralph's so I know it's okay.

At least this long sorry saga has highlighted the possible problem of
patched rom images causing startup errors, and possibly running errors.

Thank you Peter, and Ralph, all who have helped me over the past few
days, and all involved in the development of RPCEmu.

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net