[Rpcemu] Good rom-3.70, no startup errors BUT still no menu

David david at ukpoets.net
Mon Mar 22 06:54:45 PDT 2010

In article <201003221134.53011.musus at verelanthe.co.uk>,
   Musus Umbra <musus at verelanthe.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Mar 2010, David wrote:
> > Now, it starts up with no errors and for the first time displays
> > the correct backdrop. However, the CD-ROM drive still reports drive
> > empty when there's a CD in and I still can't bring up the Ctrl-End
> > menu.

I should have followed up this post as well but in the other thread, I
reported that I'd discovered that Shift-Ctrl-End brought up the menu
(but sometimes failed to do so).

> First things first, let's check that all 3 interested parties (you,
> us, and X/RPCEmu/Allegro) all mean the same thing by "End"...

> 1. Run this command in a terminal window:
> --8<----------------------------------------
> xev | grep keysym
> ---8<---------------------------------------
> That will cause a small window called "Event Tester" to open.

> 2. Click in the "Event Tester" window to focus it.

> 3. Press and release your "End" key.

> 4. Press and release your "Ctrl" key.

> 5. Close the "Event Tester" window.

> What got printed out in the terminal window?  Please include the
> output in your reply :)

[Snip example]

david at david-desktop:~$ xev | grep keysym
    state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
    state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
david at david-desktop:~$

The Ctrl key gave no result at all even though I tried it repeatedly,
however the Shift key gave:

    state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,

and the Control key pressed & released while the Shift key was held
down gave:

    state 0x5, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,

(I don't know if this is important but where Copy & Paste are Ctrl-C
and Ctrl-V elsewhere, they're Shift-Ctrl-C and Shift-Ctrl-V in the
Terminal.)

> Also, what do these commands produce? (don't worry if most of them
> produce an error message, but do include them in your reply :)
> --8<------------------------------------
> grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" /etc/allegrorc
> grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" /etc/allegro.cfg
> grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" ~/.allegrorc
> grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" ~/.allegro.cfg
> --8<------------------------------------

david at david-desktop:~$ grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" /etc/allegrorc
grep: /etc/allegrorc: No such file or directory
david at david-desktop:~$ grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*="
/etc/allegro.cfg
grep: /etc/allegro.cfg: No such file or directory
david at david-desktop:~$ grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" ~/.allegrorc
grep: /home/david/.allegrorc: No such file or directory
david at david-desktop:~$ grep -EH "^(keyboard|language).*=" ~/.allegro.cfg
grep: /home/david/.allegro.cfg: No such file or directory
david at david-desktop:~$

--

David - david atcost ukpoets fullstop net