[Rpcemu] Good rom-3.70, no startup errors BUT still no menu

Musus Umbra musus at verelanthe.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 08:13:19 PDT 2010

On Monday 22 Mar 2010, David wrote:
> I should have followed up this post as well but in the other thread,
> I reported that I'd discovered that Shift-Ctrl-End brought up the
> menu (but sometimes failed to do so).

That's... odd.

>   Musus Umbra <musus at verelanthe.co.uk> wrote:
> > First things first, let's check that all 3 interested parties (you,
> > us, and X/RPCEmu/Allegro) all mean the same thing by "End"...
[ xev output ]
> david at david-desktop:~$ xev | grep keysym
>     state 0x0, keycode 36 (keysym 0xff0d, Return), same_screen YES,
>     state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
>     state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
>     state 0x0, keycode 115 (keysym 0xff57, End), same_screen YES,
> david at david-desktop:~$
> The Ctrl key gave no result at all even though I tried it repeatedly,

I think we now know why Ctrl+End isn't bringing the menu up for you...
if the Ctrl key simply isn't doing /anything/ then the "menu" mystery is
solved :)

In the way of these things, it does then leave a "WTF? Why is the Ctrl
key misbehaving?!" mystery in its place, of course...  but at least
we've established that RPCEmu isn't the problem.

> however the Shift key gave:
>     state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
> and the Control key pressed & released while the Shift key was held
> down gave:
>     state 0x5, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen

That's really peculiar;  You might want to check your keyboard settings
in general - it looks like there's something rather skewiff there.

> (I don't know if this is important but where Copy & Paste are Ctrl-C
> and Ctrl-V elsewhere, they're Shift-Ctrl-C and Shift-Ctrl-V in the
> Terminal.)

That's probably normal - in gnome-terminal, for instance, Ctrl-C and
Ctrl-V should really be sent straight to whatever is running in the
terminal so it uses Shift-Ctrl-C/V for its own cut'n'paste.

Mind you, if your Ctrl key isn't generating any events without Shift
also being pressed, you'd be hard pushed to see that behaviour ;)

[snip allegrorc greps]
That palaver was just to see if there was some peculiar allegro
configuration changing what the keys did.  Looks like you're clear on
that one.

TTFN,
Adny
Erst wenn die Wolken schlafengehn	 | Personal: adny at verelanthe.co.uk
kann man uns am Himmel sehn		 | Techie: musus at verelanthe.co.uk
wir haben Angst und sind allein		 | WWW: verelanthe.co.uk/musus/
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein!	 | UT: adny.rsa at googlemail.com
-- Rammstein / Engel