[Rpcemu] Good rom-3.70, no startup errors BUT still no menu

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Mar 22 12:28:54 PDT 2010

Hi David,

> In article <201003221513.23973.musus at verelanthe.co.uk>,
>    Musus Umbra <musus at verelanthe.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Monday 22 Mar 2010, David wrote:
> > > however the Shift key gave:
> > >     state 0x0, keycode 50 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
> > > and the Control key pressed & released while the Shift key was
> > > held down gave:
> > >     state 0x5, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen
> >
> > That's really peculiar;  You might want to check your keyboard
> > settings in general - it looks like there's something rather skewiff
> > there.
>
> Is it peculiar?

Yes.  :-)

> I've just tested it on my wife's Linux computer (different make & spec
> of computer but Ubuntu 9.10 like mine) and get precisely the same
> results.

I'm an older Ubuntu so things may have changed.  Perhaps something's
grabbing the Control key.  Could you repeat the previous tests with a
little more detail?  Enter

    xev | egrep '^Key(Press|Release)|keycode'

switch keyboard focus to the new little window and then tap left Ctrl,
left Shift, and End, once, in order.  Tell us the output along with the
output of

    xmodmap -pke | egrep -i 'control|shift|end'

Cheers,
Ralph.