[Rpcemu] Information for users and developers

Peter Howkins rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net
Wed May 26 06:14:27 PDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:48:42PM +0100, Bob Latham wrote:
> In article <20100526102559.GA27854 at spod.org>,
>    Peter Howkins <rpcemu.howkins at marutan.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:22:29AM +0100, Jim Lesurf wrote:
>
> > > My first point is that the above page seems to have binaries for
> > > Windows and Mac, but not for Linux. Can it also have a binary version
> > > for Linux, please? Or is that a problem for some reason?
>
> > Unfortuanately there are just too many versions of Linux (CPU
> > architecture (x86/x64/Sparc/ARM/Mips/etc), distribution
> > (Ubuntu/redhat/debian/puppy/gentoo/etc x 100), releases) to create a
> > universal binary that would run on all of them.
>
> I'm confused.
>
> The above suggests there is no linux version and the web site says that
> the Linux version is the only one that supports networking. I don't
> understand.
>
> Does it do networking?

Linux versions are compiled from source (as oposed to distributed as a
binary) by the end users. Therefore for Linux you need to download the
archive labeled as

"Source Code (Version 0.8.6)"
"All Platforms" "Source Code"

and compile it.

And yes, the Linux version does suport networking, though it's very very
involved to setup.

Peter

--
Peter Howkins